Friday, June 10, 2011

Chicken {Blank} Salad

Back to the recipes!  I'm a little behind on this, but the last time I really cooked was on Tuesday, so there isn't too much to share! :)

On Tuesday night I did something simple that can please everyone.  I took 3 chicken breasts, cut them up into 1 inch pieces, and then marinaded them in Kraft's Roasted Red Pepper Italian with Parmesan Dressing for about 2 hours.  When it was cooking time, I placed the chicken in a skillet that had 1tbs melted butter in it.  I cooked until they were no longer pink, turning every so often to make sure they didn't get cooked too good on one side.

I am a huge fan of balsamic vinaigrette. Brandon - not so much.  I like the acidity.  And if I make it myself it is most balsamic vinegar and not so much oil.  I wanted a salad with balsamic and feta cheese.  I also really like dried cranberries in my salad for that something sweet.  Again, Brandon not so much.

So I decided to make our salads separately.  I made Brandon a Caesar Salad from a pre-made mix from Walmart.  He likes creamy dressing better.

In the end, Brandon and I had salads.  I would definitely call his Chicken Caesar Salad and mine would probably be called Sonoma Chicken Salad (I don't know why - sounds exotic like I'm in Cali or something!).  JJ and MJ ate the marinaded chicken by itself and were big fans.  I think MJ ate 5-6 pieces?  And JJ ate his whole bowl.  Successful dinner.  Quick dinner.  Economical dinner.

On the stove.
My Sonoma Chicken Salad.
Brandon's Chicken Caesar Salad.
I've decided in addition to sharing recipes, I would also share the approximate cost and cost breakdown of meals.  We are trying to eat frugally, and I know I'm not the only one.  Here is what it looked like:

3 chicken breasts: $3.00
Marinade: $.69 (and only probably 1/4 of the bottle)
Pre-packaged salad: $3.69
1 Romaine: $1.00
Dressing: $.30 (just a portion of the bottle)

Total Cost: $8.68 which equals - $2.17/per person (really me and Brandon cost more, but that's the even split)

Not bad :)

No comments:

Post a Comment