Thursday, September 8, 2011

Southwest Chicken Stromboli

As requested!  Here is the dinner we had tonight.  It is from the April/May 2011 issue of Taste of Home.  Another bootleg recipe.....

This recipe reminds me of the little deep fried southwest egg rolls you use to be able to get at Chili's or Cheesecake Factory.  Minus black beans.  So it was solid.  It would be really good to find some light, avocado ranch dip for it.....this has me thinking for next time!

I am only going to include the recipe for the insides (that sounds so strange).  I make my own pizza dough  (minus the fresh herbs for this recipe) and some places you can actually buy fresh dough in the stores.  If nothing else, buy the pizza dough you can get in the tubes.  The longest part of this recipe for me today was making the dough from scratch.

Here is what I used for the filling:

1 small onion, finely chopped
1 small sweet yellow pepper, finely chopped
1T canola oil
1.5 cups shredded cooked chicken breast
3/4 cup salsa
2/3 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
1/2 cup refried beans
3/4tsp ground cumin
1/4tsp garlic powder
1/4tsp chili powder
1/4tsp dried oregano

Preheat oven to 350F.  Prep dough. 

In a skillet, saute onion and pepper in oil until crisp-tender.  Stir in the chicken, salsa, cheese, beans and seasonings; heat through.  Remove from heat; set aside.

Spread filling over half of dough to within 1/2 inch of edges.  Fold dough over filling; pinch seams to seal and tuck ends under.  Brush dough with an egg wash (1 egg white, beaten & 1T of water).  Cut slits in top.

Place on an greased baking sheet.  Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown (this is key - I had to cook mine more like 35 minutes).  Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting.  Serve with sour cream and guacamole if desired.

Fresh out of the oven. I think I'm finally getting the concept down of cooking stromboli.
Not as pretty as I'd like, but it was an iPhone photo....I was starving and ready to eat :)

No comments:

Post a Comment