Tuesday, June 28, 2011

BBQ Bakers

If you are from Texas, then this is going to a no-brainer.  You probably grew up going to Luther's BBQ or hitting the HLS&R (Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo for those unfamiliar) and having one of these.  You are exempt from reading this post because I'm not teaching you anything new.

Especially for those Aggies out there (WHOOP!).  Brandon and I were reminiscing about the Potato Shack.  Remember that place?  And how the potatoes were SO big that you could cut it in half and make it two meals.  Loved how they delivered to Bus Ops on bike.  Those were the good 'ol days.

When I would get tired of eating BBQ sandwiches or BBQ plates (which was really rare), I would get a BBQ Baker instead.  These are simple and really can be made to your liking.

Here's what I used:

2 medium-sized russet potatoes
Olive oil
Butter
Salt
Pepper

1 cup shredded bbq beef, divided
Sour Cream (I didn't have any!  So I used the sour cream dip - French Onion)
Chopped chives
Shredded cheddar

Step 1: Bake Potatoes

Preheat the oven to 350F.

I wanted to do this differently yesterday.  I still wanted to actually 'bake' it instead of putting it in the microwave.  Microwaving is an option for all those people that need a quick dinner.

I scrubbed the potatoes with a vegetable brush, poked holes all over them with a fork, and then rolled them in olive oil.  I blotted the olive oil dry then placed them directly on the rack in the oven.  On the rack below the potatoes I placed a baking sheet to catch any of the drippings. 

I baked these potatoes for around 1 hour and 15 minutes.  I took my thongs and squeezed them to see if they were done.  Once they were, I pulled them out and let them rest on the counter while I prepped everything else.  I knew they were going to scorching hot!


Step 2: Prep toppings

So, I cheated. I bought the prepackaged, pre-cooked BBQ meat.   It's in the refrigerated section of your store near the hots dogs. Yep, cheater.  So I read the directions and warmed accordingly.  If you go eat at a BBQ restaurant and have leftovers, this is a great way to use them.

I chopped the chives, shredded the cheese, had a meltdown when I realized there was no more sour cream, then figured out that I had just bought some sour cream veggie dip that would work just the same, then finally started to prep the potatoes.

I made one slice down the potato then used the thongs to pinch the potato ends together to open up the potato.  It was perfectly done!  I buttered the potato, put on salt and pepper, then topped with cheese, meat, cheese, sour cream, and then finally chives.


Yum!!!  It was really good!  This is similar to the one we use to get from the Potato Shack.  They also had the Broccoli and Cheddar Potato, the Greek Potato, and even the Fiesta Potato.  You can really center your whole meal around it.  And its pretty reasonably priced.

Cost Breakdown:

Potatoes: $1.00
BBQ Meat: $5.00
Other Toppings: $1.00

Total Cost of Meal: $7.00
Total Cost per person (I will just count me and Brandon since we were the ones that ate potatoes - JJ had a sandwich.  AND we had leftover meat.): $3.50

No comments:

Post a Comment