Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Traveling. With Children.

This is nothing new for our family.  Since JJ was born we have been traveling to visit the rest of our family who has been in another state.  We use to fly.  Now we are driving.

We have made 2 trips to Texas since we moved to Mississippi last November.  The first one was fairly successful.  We do not have a big vehicle, so we were really packed down.  Both kids traveled well.  MJ was still in her infant car seat, so slept quite a bit.

We traveled Easter weekend to Texas as well.  MJ was turned around.  We made it 30 minutes down the road and Brandon had to separate their car seats.  Like physically move MJ's carseat away from JJ.  Yep.  It was a mess.  At least we stopped at a Starbucks. Neither of them slept at all for the entire 7 hour trip.  We were all exhausted that night.  And irritable.

Easter trip - before the split.
Now we are preparing for our third trip.  And it is taking a lot of mental preparation on my part.  Because right now all I'm doing is procrastinating.  Being gone for a weekend is one thing.  Being gone for about 15 days is another.  We are leaving this Friday and will return probably on Sunday the 17th.  Brandon will be in MS working most of the time, so its just me and the kids.  Did I really think through this?

Yes, I know we are going to visit grandparents.  That is the only saving grace of this whole trip.  At least I have some help.  But, unfortunately, it won't solve the problem of having cranky, short-on-sleep children.  That's just the nature of a vacation.

JJ is super excited about going to Texas.  He starts 'Horse Camp' next Tuesday at my mom & dad's.  It will be 4 days of kids his age learning everything there needs to know about riding and taking care of a horse.  He will have a blast.  I'm not sure if its good or bad that he has what little experience he has from riding my mom's horse because HE thinks HE is an expert and that he will be teaching the camp.  Oh brother.

MJ will just probably be held.  Non-stop.  Which is probably the hardest thing to undo with her.  She loves the attention and if someone is willing, she will be in someone's arms.  Until she's tired, and cranky then she'll likely want me to hold her so she can beat me up.  Yea! :)

So I guess I will stop writing for the rest of this afternoon while MJ is napping and JJ is watching Looney Tunes.  I have cleaning that needs to be started.  Its not doing it on its own.  If you think about it, say a prayer for me in the next few days.  I have a feeling I'm going to need a lot.
Return trip.  She was tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment