Thursday, June 23, 2011

Homemade Pizza

This was Tuesday night's dinner.  I had enough frozen dough for one pizza, so I pulled that out.  I made this dough when I made the Meatball Stromboli at the end of last month. 


When I pulled it out I noticed it had slight freezer burn. I was totally bummed and just wrote the whole meal off.  I sort of do that when one little thing goes wrong.  We pressed forward though and I worked the dough so that I could get it large enough for a pizza.


JJ helped me top it.  We had regular spaghetti sauce, pepperoni, hot Italian sausage, and mozzarella cheese.  I precooked the sausage so it was already done when we were ready to top the pizza.

Here are some pictures of us making it.  I sprayed the dough with oil before topping to prevent the sauce from soaking into the dough.





I cooked it at 425F for about 12 minutes.  It probably could have gone a few more minutes.  I also think next time I might try to cook the dough a few minutes in the oven on a baking sheet, then pull it out and top it, then place back in right on the rack instead of a sheet.  Hoping this might help the crispiness.

It was good - but honestly, when you calculate pepperoni, meat, and cheese, you're not paying too much different in price then if you get something from the store or restaurant. I thankfully had the sausage and cheese already, so that cut down on the cost out of the budget this week. Its debatable if its worth the time.  Its a different flavor and feel, so I guess that's nice, but its more work then sometimes I really want to do!

Cost Breakdown:

Crust: $1.00
Meat: $4.00
Cheese: $2.50
Sauce: $.99

Total Cost: $8.49
Cost per person (all 4 of us at this!): $2.12

No comments:

Post a Comment