Wednesday, December 5, 2012

MJ#1 Birth Story

I had a friend ask if I had birth story's for my kids....had never thought about it! I started with the most dynamic birth, MJ #1.  It's definitely an entertaining story.  I'm glad I got this down for when she gets older I can have her understand the misery she put me through! Haha :)


MJ #1’s birth story

March 8, 2010
I had been having some increasing contractions, but they were still very irregular.  I started to chart them to make sure I wasn’t missing anything.  With Jackson my water had broke so I knew that labor was starting.  I went to work that day and sat down most of the day in front of the overhead projector.  Nothing was out of the ordinary so I just kept writing them down and keeping track.

March 9, 2010
I went to school just like normal.  I was continuing to track my contractions throughout the day.  They weren’t terribly strong, but they were there.  Still irregular, with the shortest between them around 7 minutes.  I packed up my bags and remember looking at the clock as I was leaving – it was 3:32pm.  On my ride home I called the nurse on-call and asked when I should head to the hospital (my original due date was March 14th).  She again told me what I knew, that they needed to be 5 minutes or less apart before I went.  Our home was 30 minutes from the hospital where I was to deliver, so I wanted to make sure I gave myself plenty of time.  I told her they were inconsistent and all over the place, so she said just wait until they get consistent and then head that way. 

I arrived at my house and went inside to see JJ and my mom (JJ was 3 at the time).  I had some presents from friends/family that had arrived that day in the mail.  As I opened the presents, my contractions started to intensify.  I started to write them down again – and at this point I decided that my husband (who worked about 15 minutes away at the local university) should start to make his way home.  By the time he would arrive we should be ready to start heading to Dover to the hospital.  Only problem was my mom had our car, so she had to go pick him up.  She loaded JJ up and started heading that way.

Once my mom left things really picked up steam.  I went and laid down on our bed to hopefully relax.  The contractions intensified more.  I started to feel light headed, so I got up and got a drink that had some sugar in it.  This is when I felt the urge to go to the bathroom.  I walked into the bathroom, sat on the toilet and had a BM.  The contractions were really strong at this point. My husband called to check on me – which I could barely talk.  He tried to get anything out of me – and I really could not say anything.  At this point, still on the toilet I felt like I needed to go to the bathroom again.  After about 10 seconds I realized, this was not a ‘go to the bathroom’ feeling.  This was a ‘need to push this baby out’ feeling.

I was still home alone – and at this point terrified.  Brandon was trying to still talk to me on the phone as he was making his way back from work.  I still was pretty much a mute because I was in so much pain, and also holding the baby in. He made the decision to get off the phone with me and call an ambulance.  He called me right now to let me know they were on the way.  Only problem was there was no way I was getting up to walk to our door to unlock it.  I was laying on my bed, two cats curling up next to me, just scared to death I was going to be alone in our apartment having our second child.  Brandon stayed on the phone with me the whole time just talking me through it.  It took about 10 or so more minutes before he finally made it to our house – still beating the paramedics.  When he got there he instantly went and found towels, scissors, and started to get water going to boil on the stove.  Yea – TERRIFIED.  Haha.

The paramedics got there, examined me and told me I was nowhere near having a baby.  I about ripped the guys head off.  My contractions were varying from 1 minute apart to as short as 20 seconds apart at this point.  Never regular.  They put me on the gurney and wheeled me to the ambulance.  Two awesome paramedics stayed in the back with me and talked to me the whole time we traveled 8 miles to the closest hospital (not the one I had planned to deliver at).  When they were timing them they were trying to make me laugh – they had just gone through OB training the day before and thought my call was a practice run.  So they knew exactly what to do. 
The ambulance driver blew through lights and got us to the hospital in about 10 minutes (mind you – this was all in the I-95 corridor of Delaware.  HEAVY traffic). 

When they pulled me into the L&D triage, the nurse listened to MJ #1’s heart to make sure all was good.  It had not occurred to me until this point that she could have been stressed.  Glad I didn’t worry until then!  She then checked me – and when she did I screamed.  The nurse’s face was priceless.  She quickly removed her gloves, threw up the sides of my bed and started yelling down the hall to the nurses station.  They were going to have to move fast because MJ #1 was ready to be born – probably on the next contraction.  She got at the head of the bed and Brandon was at my feet.  We pick up a nurse on the way to the elevator, just incase something happened while we were on our way to the delivery room.  We were literally sprinting as fast as you can with a hospital bed down the hallway.  We got in the elevator, made it out to the delivery floor and right when they pushed me into my delivery room a contraction was coming.  I was in the hospital and I was not waiting anymore!  I warned them, to which all the nurses started telling me to hold on because nothing was ready – they were still getting gloves on and there was no doctor there to deliver.  I wasn’t waiting though – the 1st year resident literally walked in the room right when I started to push and caught MJ #1.  No lie – caught her.  And then the pain was gone.  MJ #1 was born at 5:14pm on March 9th, 2010 – 39 weeks, 4 days, 6 pounds, 8 ounces, 19 inches long.  Girl had a schedule to keep! She was perfect – but the doctor told me that the next time, if there was one, that I needed to plan my delivery.  I delivered way too fast! There were no pictures in the delivery room - things happened so quickly we had nothing of her first hour.  

JJ and baby sister.  One of the first pictures of MJ #1.

No comments:

Post a Comment