Sunday, June 19, 2011

Blueberry-Lime Jam

We be jammin' this morning.

I stayed home from church with Mollie who is still exhausted from yesterday's festivities.  So I got to do this with no kids.  Other projects are easier if they're running around!

This recipe comes from the Ball Blue Book Guide to Preserving.  Like I have said before - if you check your Walmart, they usually have them near their canning stuff.  I modified it slightly AND my measurements are way different.  I'm putting the practical measurement down, since things are not labeled in cups in the store.

Here's what I used:

4 pints fresh blueberries
4.5 tbs powdered pectin
5 cups sugar
1 tbs grated lime peel
1/3 cup lime juice

Step 1: Prep Blueberries

Wash your blueberries and make sure to remove all stems.


Crush blueberries one layer at a time.  Its easier of you just crush one layer in a bowl then dump in a measuring cup to make sure you get around 4 1/2 cups.


Mix crushed blueberries and pectin in a stockpot.

Step 2: Cook

Bring mixture to a boil, stirring frequently.  Add sugar, stirring until dissolved.  Stir in grated lime peel and lime juice.  Return to a rolling boil.  Boil hard 1 minute, stirring constantly.

Pectin & blueberries
Grated lime peel.
Lime juicin'
Waiting for that boil!
Remove from heat.  Skim off foam if necessary - and it seemed like I skimmed a lot of foam off of this one for some reason?

Step 3: Can

Ladle hot jam into hot, sterilized jars leaving at least 1/4 inch headspace.  Adjust two-piece caps.  Process 15 minutes in a boiling-water canner.
They're so pretty :)
If you're unsure about canning, I went into more detail when I walked you through how to make Homemade Italian Red Sauce.  If you still have questions, just let me know!

I'll test this one out and report tomorrow.  The Raspberry-Mango Jam is still my favorite!

No comments:

Post a Comment