Sunday, June 19, 2011

Brandied Strawberry Freezer Jam

We are really jammin' today!

I had some leftover strawberries from the party yesterday and wanted to try something different.  I had read a lot of recent recipes on freezer jam.  I've never done it before and thought I was up for the challenge to try something new.

I got a new canning cookbook last weekend, Canning from the Better Homes and Gardens people, while we were in the 'big city'.  I found a recipe in there for something that intrigued me - Brandied Strawberry Freezer Jam.  It met my criteria AND I had everything I needed to make it :)

Recipe yields 5 half-pints.

Here's what I used:
4 cups strawberries
4 cups sugar
3 tbs brandy
1/2 tsp finely shredded lime peel (the recipe called for lemon, but I didn't have it so I went with lime)
1.75oz regular powdered pectin
3/4 cup water

Step 1: Prep Strawberries

I had plenty of strawberries, so I just chopped off them tops and then sliced them up to make mashing easier.  I measured 4 cups sliced first, then crushed strawberries using a potato masher in a large bowl.  When all the strawberries were crushed, I had around 2 cups of strawberries.



Stir in the sugar, brandy, and lime peel in with the strawberries.  Let stand at room temperature for 10 minutes.



Step 2: Prep Pectin

In a small saucepan, stir pectin into the water.  Bring to boiling, stirring constantly.  Boil hard for 1 minute, stirring constantly (and seriously - this stuff will stick, so keep stirring).  Remove from heat.


Stir pectin mixture into berry mixture, stirring for about 3 minutes or until the sugar dissolves and mixture is no longer grainy.


Step 3: Can

Ladle the hot jam into half-pint freezer containers, leaving a 1/2 inch headspace.  Seal and label.


Step 4: Freeze

Let stand at room temperature for about 24 hours or until set.  Store for up to 3 weeks in the refrigerator or for up to 1 year in the freezer.


I'll have to wait a few days to try this one, but it sure did sound yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment