Monday, June 6, 2011

Raspberry-Mango Jam

So, this was quite interesting.  I just took the plunge - not looking at the clock, kids nap schedule, lunch....I just starting making it.  And I know I must be getting half way decent in making it because it really didn't consume too much time.  Pat on the back for me ;)

Here is what I used:

2 Mangos (I had 3, but one wasn't ripe enough), finely chopped
3.5 cups of Raspberries (3 small containers), crushed
2tbs lemon juice
6tbs powdered pectin
5 1/2cups sugar

Step 1: Prep Fruit

So I washed the raspberries and then mashed them with a potato masher.  Easy.  The next step was to peel and pit mangos.  Not all that familiar with doing this, but I tried my best.  I used a potato peeler to peel the mangos and got as much off of the pit as I could.

Crushing raspberries.
Step 2: Cook

Combine fruit, lemon juice, and pectin in a large saucepot.  Bring to boil, stirring constantly.  Add sugar and stir until dissolved.  Bring to a rolling boil and allow to boil for 1 minute.  Continue to stir constantly through the boiling.  Remove from heat.

Mango, raspberries, lemon juice, and pectin
After dissolving the sugar.
Step 3: Can

Skim foam if necessary.  Ladle hot jam into hot jars (that have been sterilized in a boiling-water canner), leaving 1/4 inch headspace.  Adjust two-piece caps.  Process 10 minutes in a boiling-water canner.

Sterilizing the lids.
After removing from heat and the rolling boil.  Notice the layer of foam.
After foam was removed.
Getting ready to funnel into sterilized jars.
Final product after processing.
I'll be interested in seeing how this turned out.  This made 6.5 half pint jars.  I processed only 6 and will eat the 1/2 now.  The recipe I was using was for Mango-Raspberry Jam.  Well, mine is definitely more heavy on the raspberry, so I renamed it :)

Taste test tomorrow morning :)

No comments:

Post a Comment