Monday, June 27, 2011

Phase 1: Homemade Chalk Board

Not sure where I picked this idea up, but ever since I got it in my head I have wanted to do it.

JJ and I were at the Depot a few weeks ago and picked up some chalkboard paint.  My idea was to create an area in the kitchen that I could write down our weekly menu as well as give some space where the kids could write.

Yesterday while we were out filling up our refillable cups (a WHOLE other story), I asked if we could swing by the Depot and see how we could get this project rolling.

In order to create a chalkboard area in our kitchen we would have to do one of two things.  One - remove any type of texturing that was there to allow for a smooth writing surface for the board plus get some trim to create a frame.  Or two - get a board to attach to the wall that we could just paint and attach and maybe have to get some trim. 

And easy decision - we went with #2.

Here are the two places we are debating putting it.  Not sure where it will end up yet.  The things that are currently there will just be moved somewhere else.

Option #1: next to the china cabinet.  Here it would be visible from the kitchen table and the majority of the kitchen.
Option #2: This is easily visible from the kitchen.  Cannot be seen from the table.
So yesterday we found a 2'x4'x1/2" board ($7.50) that we will directly attach to the wall with some screws.  I started by priming it last night.  I will put a coat of the chalkboard paint on tonight when Brandon gets home.  Here's what we have so far:




All primed.  After the chalkboard paint gets on it needs to rest for 3 days before we can write on it.  Unfortunately looks like this project won't be 100% finished until we get back from Texas!

No comments:

Post a Comment