Monday, May 23, 2011

Homemade Guacamole

Here is my simple recipe on how I make my homemade guacamole.  After doing it for a few years it has changed and taken on many different shapes, but here is the base to start with.  Add some things to get something that is perfect for you!

The recipe I'm going to give you will feed about 2-3 people (that really love guac) for dinner as an adder to tacos, nachos, etc.

2 ripe avocados
1 medium tomato, seeded and chopped
1 tbs lime or lemon juice
1 - 1.5 tbs sour cream
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 - 1 tsp garlic salt
1/4 cup chopped purple onion (optional)

Step 1: Cut up avocado

I had a friend once show me how to do this and it makes getting the good stuff out of the avocado easy.  Take your knife and slice out squares of the avocado (this is after removing the pit).  Then take a spoon and the inside easily pops out!

The easy way of slicing up an avocado!
Step 2: Mash up the avocado, add lime/lemon juice

Just take a fork and mash it up to the consistency you'd like.  I usually get it pretty mashed up, but still have some texture left in there.  Once its mashed up good, then add your lime/lemon juice and mix in well.  This will add nice flavor and also slow down the browning process.

Step 3: Add tomato, onion, sour cream

Add all or some of the extras in and then mix well!

Add tomatoes and sour cream.
Step 4: Add Spices

Take the cumin, chili powder, and garlic salt and mix in well.  Taste test and add whatever your palate says!  Remember though - if you do intend to eat the guacamole with chips you will have added salt from them.  Don't over salt!

Ready to eat!

Finished product!
This is simple, fresh, and fun.  This batch I actually made with a fresh green tomato from our local farmers market.  My guacamole at my previous place of employment was a huge hit.  If I attended a party with them, I was expected to bring this with me!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment