Monday, July 18, 2011

Training for a Half Marathon! Well, Maybe.

Me & Kellie - finishing our first 5K, March 2009.
That's me in my glory days.  For some reason I decided when JJ was about 2yo that I was going to start running.  Did it for a few reasons, but mostly because it was FREE.  Running is the cheapest exercise out there.  I did encounter a little misstep that required some PT, but I survived. 

I stopped when I found out I was pregnant with MJ, the summer of 2009. I actually ran a race in June and found out I was pregnant a few weeks later.  That 5K race I got my PR of 31.20.  I actually was feeling good about running and was enjoying it.  I stopped just to be careful. 

I picked up running again in May 2010, 2 months after MJ.  It was short lived.  I just didn't have the time nor energy with a 2 month old to commit to running.  When we moved to MS in December, I thought, now I have the time!  And I did, until May this year.  Basically until JJ was out for the summer and the temperatures were averaging in the mid-90's everyday.  So I stopped.  I have been on a 10 week hiatus.  And feel it more than ever.  My joints hurt.  I'm tired.  I SEE it.  That's the most troubling of all.  Seeing the difference.  Weight wise I really haven't fluctuated either direction.  But the weight is no longer muscle. 

While in Texas I talked to Brandon's cousin, Tamara.  She has a son who is about 6 months younger than JJ.  They are literally two peas in a pod.  They are the definition of goofy.  Anyway, we talked at Easter and again on this trip about running.  Tamara and her brother, Tyler, ran the Country Music 1/2 marathon in Nashville this past April.  She was never a runner, but was motivated to do something positive for herself.  Her brother helped with motivation and together they accomplished their goal.  She had so much fun (because if you're a runner and have run just one race, you KNOW its addicting) that she's already planning next year. 

This got me thinking.  I loved running.  I loved everything about it.  The time to myself to zone out and just be in my thoughts.  The time you can have alone to just meditate - I listen to some really great music when I run that is spiritually uplifting.  I MISS THAT.  I miss that quite time with God when I run.  Could I do a 1/2 marathon?  Could I actually see myself completing 13.1 miles?

Jury's still out on that one.  Its a long way, folks.  My friend in DE, Kellie and I ran a 10K one time, cold turkey.  We had both done 5K's no problem and just signed up for a 10K.  She was more prepared than I, but the hills killed us.  No training = BAD experience.  We finished though.  But a 10K is only 6.2 miles.  So double that for a half marathon?! Ugh.

I can't let the monstrosity get in my way.  Just saying 13.1 miles makes my head do a loop.  I think - I drove less than that to get to work everyday in DE?!  Kelli - you are crazy!!!  So starting next Monday I am beginning my program (like how I'm giving myself plenty of days to get psyched?!).  I will get up at 7am and I will do the workout that I have and not feel overwhelmed.  I will stay positive.  I know I will like the results. 

Look for updates.  I'll let you know what I decide about the 1/2. 

No comments:

Post a Comment