Friday, June 24, 2011

Portabello Fries

Yum.

There were impromptu tonight.  We ate at a very good restaurant last summer (holy smokes - last June?!) when I first came to visit MS from DE.  Haven't had them since.

We had portabello grilled cheese sandwiches tonight.  They are really easy - to give you a run down its just portabello mushrooms, jack cheese, and smoky cheddar cheese on some fancy bread from the store (I think it was Tuscan something or other).  I have a panini press, so I just stuck them in there and in 5 minutes they were done.

I think the side was better.  I looked at all the remaining mushrooms then looked at the skillet that still have oil in it from last night tortillas.  Yep.  It was fate.

For the dry batter I used flour, salt, pepper, and garlic powder.  I dipped them first in the dry mixture, then into eggs, then back in to the dry mix.  Throw them on the stove and BAM.  They were killer with some ranch dressing (I think I'm starting to sound like Guy Fieri?).





The portabello grilled cheese.
My main fault is that I just underestimate how hot to make the oil.  So instead of a nice golden brown I have sort of a washed out brown.  Its ok though - they're still crispy :)

Cost Breakdown:

Mushrooms: $3.50

Total Cost: $3.50 - and worth EVERY penny!

No comments:

Post a Comment