Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Bacon-Cheddar-Chive Scones

So its raining today.  The awesome sound of rain.  MJ is sleeping and JJ is watching tv resting.

So what do I decide to do? Bake.

Southern Living is a magazine my mom subscribed me to when I left for college.  So, I've been getting it for awhile.  There are a lot of recipes in there that are just so complicated that I don't even hesitate 2 seconds on the page.

And then there are others.  The ones that sort of intrigue me and I hold on to for awhile until I have some time.

Well, that time had arrived for scones.  I have never attempted scones because I always saw them as a challenge.  I don't know why, because honestly I don't know that I read completely through the recipe before.  This scone recipe was in the December 2010 magazine.  They had sweet and savory scones.  I will eat myself sick on the sweet scones, so I thought my first attempt would be the savory ones.

I did not stray from this recipe since this was my first attempt.

Here's what I used:

2 cups all-purpose flour
1tbs baking powder
1/2tsp salt
1/2 cup butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 cup whipping cream, divided
3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 cup finely chopped bacon
2 tbs chopped fresh chives
1/2 tsp black pepper
Wax Paper

Preheat over to 450F.

Step 1: Prep Savory Ingredients

I read all the way through the recipe and knew once I started the dough I was going to be on a time clock.  So the first thing I did was shred the cheese and chop the bacon and chives.  I placed them in a separate bowl, ready to be added at the right moment.


Step 2: Mix Dough

In a bowl, mix together the flour, salt, and baking powder.  Cut in butter with a pastry blender until the dough mixture is crumbly or resembles small peas.  This took me a while.  Once you achieve the right consistency, place the bowl in the freezer for 5 minutes.



The right consistency.
Add 3/4 cup plus 2tbs of cream, your bowl of savory ingredients, and your pepper to the flour mixture.  Stir together until dry ingredients are just moistened.


Step 3: Forming Scone

Turn dough out onto wax paper; gently press or pat dough into a 7-inch round.  The mixture will be a bit crumbly, so don't be surprised if some wants to fall off.



Using a pizza cutter, cut rough into 8 wedges.  Place the wedges 2 inches apart on a lightly greased cookie sheet.  With the remaining cream brush the tops of each scone until just moistened.



Moistened with cream.
Bake in over for 13-15 minutes, or until scones are golden.



These turned out good!

No comments:

Post a Comment