Thursday, July 7, 2011

Saddness

Warning: heavy subject matter to follow.

Tonight, while in Texas, I received word that my dear friend Elizabeth's mom had passed away suddenly. She became ill earlier this week and was thought to have been doing better but took a quick turn for the worse. I'm not sure all the details, but the initial reaction I had was heartbreak and saddness for my friend who is 1,695 miles away from me. What do you say? How can you help someone who is broken hearted?

Elizabeth is an amazing artist. She would always entertain our table at faculty meetings with elaborate drawings that just didn't seem humanly possible to make. And she was sitting there making them without even thinking. So I thought from her perspective - what she knows is art. What she loves is art. What would probably begin the healing process for her the best, is art.

Now I don't know art. The extent of my art knowledge is watching Little Einsteins and finding out who their artist of the episode is. But I know music. So here are some I think would help me heal. My top 5:

*When We All Get to Heaven (Sung by Brad Paisley)
Onward to the prize before us!
Soon his beauty we'll behold;
Soon the pearly gates will open;
We shall tread the streets of gold.


*In Christ Alone (Sung by Natalie Grant)
No guilt in life, no fear in death
This is the power of Christ in me
From a life's first cry to final breath
Jesus commands my destiny

No power of hell, no scheme of man
Could ever pluck me from His hand
Til He returns or calls me home
Here in the power of Christ I stand

*All My Tears (Sung by Kim Hill)
When I go, don't cry for me
In my Father's arms I'll be
The wounds this world left on my soul
Will all be healed and I'll be whole.

Sun and moon will be replaced
With the light of Jesus' face
And I will not be ashamed
For my Savior knows my name.

It don't matter where you bury me,
I'll be home and I'll be free.
It don't matter where I lay,
All my tears be washed away.


*There Will Be a Day (Sung by Jeremy Camp)
There will be a day with no more tears
No more pain, and no more fears

There will be a day when the burdens of this place
Will be no more, we'll see Jesus face to face
But until that day, we'll hold on to you always

*Amazing Grace
T'was Grace that taught...
my heart to fear.
And Grace, my fears relieved.
How precious did that Grace appear...
the hour I first believed


It's interesting to think what each of us looks to for comfort. Whether it songs, art, friends, or family, we all crave something we don't understand at that moment of broken heartedness.

I'm thankful I have a strong support system of friends and family that I know would be there for me if needed. I love my friend Elizabeth and hate that I'm 1,695 miles away from her and can't physically be there for her. But I will mentally and emotionally be there, praying for her and her family as they go through this tough time.

Hug your friends and family extra tight, not missing any moment or opportunity to tell them you love them and are thankful for them. Time is short. At least we know there is a place of no more tears and pain. I'm thankful just knowing that.

No comments:

Post a Comment