Monday, September 5, 2011

Kelli's Unofficial Rules of 'Fan-dom'

Brandon said I might get some feedback from this post.  So bring it on.

I don't get people sometimes.  I was born in Houston, Texas, raised in Lousiana, California, Illinois, and spent much of my grade-school years back in Houston.  I had the opportunity to cheer for many teams.  But I choose to cheer for just a few. 

I don't get people that cheer for teams they have absolutely no business cheering for.

Growing up in Houston I loved the Astros and the Oilers.  Yes, the Oilers.  I remember the pep-rally we had for them when I was in 5th grade when they went to the playoffs.  We loved Warren Moon.



I then remember in high school when the Rockets won not one, but two national championships.
And I was there when the Astros made it to the world series in '05, even though they didn't win a single game against the White Sox's, I still was so proud of my team.  They are making me question my loyalty this year :)



I never cared for any other teams in Texas.  Those were my teams.  I was an H-town girl.

I have jumped on the bandwagon of the Texans, even though the Texans joined Houston after I left the city.  Is that ok?  Good question.  Here are my UN-solicitated, un-verified rules of 'Fan-dom':

1)  If you were born in the city, you may cheer for that city.

If you're from Philadelphia and live in San Fran - then YES, you have a right to cheer for Philly.  This should be a no-brainer.  We all have a birth place and should be given the right to remember.  So my previous question is therefore answered - YES, I can cheer for the Texans.

2)  If you live in a city for more than 6 months, then you are permitted to cheer for that cities teams.  Even if you are not originally from this city.

I know there are territorial people out there (just ask any fan from the Northeast).  But get over it - the more people cheering for you the better.  If you live within driving distance of the stadium and can attend a game you should be given the right to cheer for them.

3)  If you did not attend college, you may pick a team to cheer for. 

We all want to feel that excitement come football season.  It is completely fine to get involved with a university.  I went to Texas A&M, so I cheer for the Aggies.  My dad went to University of Florida, and I STILL cheer for the gators.  Brandon did grad work at U of Delaware, we cheer for the Blue Hens...Its ok - as long as....

4)  If you did not attend the college you choose to root for, you are NOT permitted to talk trash about other schools.  

I'm sorry - BIGGEST PET PEEVE EVER.  If you did not go to, let's say, TEXAS, you are not permitted to talk trash about other schools that might be associated with Texas.  You can cheer for them all you want.  But if you didn't go there, you don't know what its like.  You don't know the rivalry, the history, the traditions - and you can say all you want to that you might, but YOU DON'T.  So don't act like you do.

5)  If you move, you need to pick a team.  

I lived right outside of St. Louis for 4 years growing up. We followed the Cardinals - in the Ozzie Smith era.  Great baseball.  We then moved back to Houston.  Could I root for both the Cardinals and the Astros?  No.  Conflict of interest.  Pick one team, people.

6)  If you do not live near a pro-team, then you should try to pick the ones nearest to you to root for.

I live in MS.  There is nothing here.  Just like there was nothing in DE.  The people in this area are Saints fans.  More power to them - and I get it.  They are going to get the Saints on TV probably more than other teams, so why not root for them?  I say 'should' in that statement due to previous statements (like the hometown team).  If you still have an attachment to your birth-place team, then it is fine to stay in tune with them. 


I may have addendum's later, but for right now this is just a start at how you become a fan that, in my opinion, is tolerated by other fans.  When you break these rules, you become the people cannot stand.  The fan that people don't get. The fan that doesn't get asked to go anywhere because you can't keep your mouth shut.

I feel better after getting this off of my chest.  If you do not agree, fine.  I said this was my opinion.  And honestly I have better things to do with my time then argue with you over this.  MJ just woke up and I'm going to go play with her. 

2 comments:

  1. Kelli - I just found your blog and I love it! So cute and your family is precious!! I LOVE this post. I completely agree with everything you wrote! Funny because I find that I root for the most random teams - different cities for different sports... but I follow all your rules.

    The only thing I would add would be to #4.. the only time I think it is okay to trash talk about a college you didn't attend is if you grew up in the city of the college. For example I know tons of people who grew up in college station but went else where for college but they still root for the Aggies and probably have more of a right to trash talk than people who attended the school bc they lived in the city (if you can call College Station a city) way more than 4 years for college... other than that, no trash talking about a school you didn't attend. Great post!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Bethany! It was a project of mine to work on while I was staying at home with the kids. Since going blacktop work it's been slightly harder to keep up with but I'm trying :)

    ReplyDelete