Sunday, June 12, 2011

Chicken Fried Chicken

One of my all time, favorite meals from college was chicken fried chicken from Wings 'n More in College Station.  I like how they would bring your chicken with gravy AND wing sauce. 

I have tried to recreate this as close to what I remember it as - its been 10+ years now.  But I've done my best :)

Here's what you need:

4 chicken breasts
2cups flour
1tsp salt
1/2tsp ground red pepper
1/2tsp garlic powder
2eggs
1cup milk
oil

Step 1: Preheat Oil

The key to making your chicken golden, crispy, and not overdone is the heat of the oil.  Pour about 1/2 inch of oil in a large skillet. Turn the burner on medium and allow it to heat through the rest of the prepping.

Step 2: Prep Chicken

Take chicken and beat to make it even all the way through.  I think this is the worst step personally.  I hate that the chicken you buy come from genetically mutated birds that have unbelievably large breasts.  I mean come on.

So to make them cook evenly, place on the counter, cover with plastic wrap, then take a 3qt or similar saucepot and beat the heck out of the chicken.  Now I know it feels good to beat something with no negative consequence (only positives here!), but be careful not to pulverize it.  Just get it even all the way through.


Step 3: Bread Chicken

Combine all the dry ingredients (flour, salt, red pepper, and garlic powder) in a bowl together.  Combine the egg and milk together well in another bowl.


Take chicken and place in dry ingredients, the egg mixture, then back in dry before placing in the oil to cook.  Tonight I tried to do a double up on the breading.  You can do as many as you want :)

Step 4: Cook

Place chicken in oil.  Allow to cook for at least 5 minutes on one side before flipping.  I'm not going to put a specific time here.  It just depends on the temp of your oil and the size of the chicken.  Just watch it.  If your oil is too hot it will crisp the outside and not cook the inside.

Frying on the original side.
Flipped once.
Almost done.  I turned the burner up just slightly to achieve the golden brown.
Once you have flipped it once, just monitor closely and flip when needed to get an even golden color on both sides.  I have a meat thermometer that is one of my key instruments for the kitchen.  Once I get a temp reading of 170F I pull them. 
Done and draining.
I get the packets of gravy to make on top - I may have some talents, but making gravy (and grilling) is not one of them.  I just cook that to top off my chicken.


Tonight we had Roasted Red Potatoes and Green Peas with our chicken.  I always use Tabasco with my gravy - reminds me of college.  Yumm :)

Cost breakdown:

3 Chicken Breasts: $3.00
Dry Ingredients: $.50
Egg/Milk: $.50
Gravy Packet: $1.00

Total Cost: $5.00

Cost per person: $1.25!

No comments:

Post a Comment